Thursday, October 10, 2013

Mayo, Mayo and more Mayo!

Growing up I always assumed that mayonnaise only came from the grocery store. I thought Mr. Hellmann's was the only one who knew the secret to making this amazing condiment. Making it myself never crossed my mind until my first Whole30. 

Since I would be avoiding all processed food, store bought mayo was definitely out of the question. I thought the canola and soybean oil were bad enough until I found out about this next ingredient. Most all store bought brands contain EDTA which stands for Ethylene-Diamine-Tetra-Acetic acid. You got it, ACID in your mayo! It is used to protect it from spoiling and prolong self life. The FDA claims its "safe" to consume... you can be the judge of that. This family won't be eating it anymore!

The best part about saying goodbye to conventional mayo, was the joy of making it myself! It can be slightly daunting on your first attempt, but trust me its worth it! Mr. Hellmann's can't beat the real thing! It. Is. Amazing! 

Homemade Mayo:
Adapted from The Wholesome Heart

1 egg (preferably farm raised, organic, or cage free)
2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4cup+1cup light olive oil (not extra virgin, preferably organic)

Directions:
Let the egg and lemon sit at room temperature for at least an hour. Then crack egg into food processor and add lemon juice. Let them sit together for another hour. No need to cover.

Then add dry mustard, salt and ¼ cup of olive oil. Pulse a couple times then blend for about 20 seconds.

Next is the most important step. Turn processor on and pour the remaining 1 cup oil through the small tube. POUR VERY SLOWLY, almost a drip at times, but steady. This should take 4 minutes so set a timer to be sure.  Be patient, it's worth it! At right around the 4 minute mark you will hear the pitch change as the liquid starts to form the emulsion. It will start to look like normal mayo.  

When complete put in a airtight container in the fridge for at least an hour before eating. The mayo lasts as long as your eggs do, so mark the mayo with the expiration date from your eggs.

Here is a recipe staple in our house that uses this amazingly delicious mayo!

 
Homemade Mayo Ranch Dressing
 

Dry Herb Mix (use organic spices when possible):
 

2 Tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt


Mix all ingredients and store in a airtight container. Makes about 3 Tablespoons.

1 cup homemade mayo
2 Tbsp. vinegar (red or white. Use balsamic for a creamy Italian flavor)
1 Tbsp. dry herb mix

Put all ingredients in a jar, shake or stir and enjoy! You will never go back to store bought ranch again!

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Woah, that EDTA sounds bad! The way you explain it, I may have the confidence to give making homemade mayo a try! Can you use a blender if you don't have a food processor? Gma and I may have to invest in one, as you mention it a lot. I can attest to the fact that your ranch dressing is amazing. Thanks again for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend a food processor being Paleo. I have the Cuisinart 9cup, and I think it's well worth the $150 investment. You will find yourself using it all the time. And making things from home costs less then the grocery store, and tastes better too. As far as the mayo is concerned you absolutely can make it in a blender. Just follow the same instructions.

      Delete
  2. I have made my own mayo in the past, but it has ben many, many years. I am certainly willing to give it a try, and like Linda, I have had your Ranch Dressing, and can also attest that it is delicious. I am just loving your blog posts, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was amazed when I made the mayo. So white and fluffy but the best thing was the taste it was GREAT. I do believe you should make it in a food processor cause the first time I made it in a blender didn't turn out like the batch I made in the processor. Can't wait to try your ranch dressing. Keep the recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete